By Leanne Mueller | In-House Designer
Spring is finally here and it’s a great time to begin thinking of how to beautify your yard and outdoor living space! With the arrival of longer days and warmer weather in the PNW, it’s time to head outside and spruce up your yard and outdoor living space. Let me help you get started by offering you some tips so that you can get your outdoor area ready for use and also help enhance your outdoor environment, creating a space where you want to spend time with family and friends.
- Patio furnishings. Clean patio furniture and freshen up with new colorful pillows and cushions if necessary. This is an inexpensive way to keep your furnishings looking new.
- Power wash patios and walkways. It makes everything feel new when you take the time to wash away the moss and dirt that has built up through the winter months.
- Sparking clean windows. This is the most satisfying project for me as a designer. Windows become more noticeable as there is more sunlight flooding through them into your home. It’s vital to keep them sparkling clean!
- Flowers and plants. Planting in containers is a quick way to add color and variety to your space. A well placed grouping of pots can define patio spaces or provide privacy if needed.
- Pay attention to your lawn and flower beds. If you are not sure what is needed, check with a local nursery for advice. I have included links to a couple of my favorite spots for garden advice and products below.
- Outdoor room. Your outdoor space can feel like an extension of your home. Consider adding outdoor area rugs to help define dining spaces or more relaxed lounge seating areas. There are also many outdoor design accessories that will help add style and finishing touches to your space.
- Lighting. Adding lighting is a sure-fire way to dress up your outdoor space and create an inviting ambiance. The addition of lighting also allows you to enjoy more time outside during our nice, long spring and summer evenings.
- Create focal points. Add unexpected interest with artwork, water features or even a fireplace or fire pit. Whatever suits your family’s taste and lifestyle and also encourages you to enjoy your outdoor space.
Here are a few of my favorite stores for enhancing our outdoor environments:
Molbak’s Garden & Home in Woodinville, WA
- Check out this class that Molbak’s is offering on container gardens. Or, if you are short on time and need a little help they will also create artfully arranged custom containers for you.
- You will find an excellent source for how-to’s, monthly garden planners as well as a list of upcoming workshops listed on their website. Besides all of the beautiful plants, flower and gardening supplies, McLendon Hardware has many other items to give your backyard outdoor living space comfort and interest like water features, fire pits and outdoor heaters.
- Gardening Guide and Tips
Crate & Barrel
One of my favorite stores this season for patio furniture, accessories and containers.