By Melissa Saliba | In-House Designer
Let’s face it – Laundry rooms are a very important part of a home but the daunting task of doing laundry is not something that most people look forward to. There are however ways to make it more enjoyable and that is to create a space that is functional and styled to your taste. If you are going to be spending hours on a weekend catching up on laundry, you might as well make it a pleasurable room to be in. Here are some laundry room design tips as well as design inspiration to get you started!
Create a functional space. To me, this means a space that has good circulation and organization, so everything has its place.
- Integrating storage for laundry baskets and detergents and implementing spaces to hang dry clothes that can be hidden will create less clutter and make the space more organized and enjoyable.
- Consider adding a sink in your laundry room to eliminate the hassle of rinsing clothes in the kitchen or bathroom sinks.
- Adding a countertop will create a space to fold and organize clothing.
Along with creating a functional space, you’ll want the décor/design to be on point as well.
- Some laundry rooms that I admire use light, warm and inviting colors to create a more relaxing atmosphere. Light painted cabinets in laundry rooms are a popular request here at the Burnsteads, and it’s a great way to lighten and soften the room.
- Adding windows and doors to take advantage of natural light is always a good idea, especially in smaller spaces.
Your laundry room does not need to be massive to be a pretty functional space, just the correct space planning and color selections can get you your dream laundry room.